On the 12th of September each year, National Video Games Day is celebrated in various ways and events for gamers around the world.
Video game players all over the United States and even the world enjoy this day by spending it playing their favorite video games and sometimes even reminiscing over their old favorites.
On July 25, 1983 Iowa established a video game team in the United States, and the practice and use of these novel games was activated on interactive electronic devices in various display formats, as Thomas T. Goldsmith Jr. and Estelle Ray Mann registered the first patent for an interactive electronic device in 1947.
Some early examples of interactive video games include:
- Computer games at the Festival of Britain in 1951.
- 0X0 – a computer game known as tic-tac-toe created by Alexander S. Douglas in 1952.
- Tennis for Two – An electronic interactive game designed by William Higginbotham in 1958.
- Space war game, launched in 1961.
Each game used a different medium of display, panels of lights or graphic displays, and other devices powered by oscilloscopes or DEC PDP displays also appeared.
The following games followed commercially:
- A model launched by the Magnavox Odyssey as the first home console in 1972.
- Atari Pong full arcade version launched in 1972 as well as a home version in 1975.
How can you celebrate National Video Games Day?
Here are some ideas:
- If you are a fan of video game challenges, invite your friends to join in and get immersed in the latest video game you know, and if you can’t, you can play it alone, and bring a bunch of snacks and drinks with you for more fun.
- You can also offer your children your favorite video game to learn about and play, and also ask them to share their game preferences with you,
- Host a video game tournament and involve relatives and friends,
- Start recording and adding your highest score in any of the games you play regularly.
- If you are stuck in a difficult game level, find tips and guides on the internet and social media to help you get through it.
- Use the #NationalVideoGamesDay hashtag on your social media posts.
What about video game clubs?
Despite its decline in the nineties, over the past couple of years, it has returned again all over the world and specifically in the Arab world, thanks to the spread of video games centers and joints whether separately or as an extension to restaurants, cafes, arcades, or even bowling alleys. Both the young and the old enjoy the competitive atmosphere playing their favorite games while enjoying delicious food and drinks with their gamer friends.
How come some people can get paid to play video games?
As a matter of fact, there are people who are professionally hired to test and view video games. Also, competitions are held all over the world to win championships and get financial rewards and prizes. Many players live stream their matches and game tours for profit – the more people watch the streamed material from online matches and tours, the higher the chance of players getting paid. The issuers of these games also pay vouchers and other prizes to the older players and veterans.
Lastly, let us wish you a happy Video Games Day. If you are a video games lover, don’t forget to share with us in the comments your favorite game so we could give it a try!